Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Peck of Pickled Peppers


We're getting our first winter storm tonight, so I picked the rest of the garden except for the few things that can tolerate a frost. I've never tried it before, but I canned some pickled jalapeno peppers. I put in some garden carrots, garlic, onions, and red peppers for some color too. The liquid is mostly white vinegar with olive oil and salt.

We have enough green tomatoes to last us a month or more if they all end up ripening. Some of them have split because of the cold and rainy weather we've had.
I've been trying to think of what else we could do with them. I've never tried fried green tomatoes, and they don't sound very good. I some some recipes for green salsa that I might try, though.

I also tried picking a bunch of parsley for drying. It worked really well by just putting it on the oven rack at 200 for about half an hour, and then crushing it. I got about 2 cups of dried parsley- which saves me about 20 cents than what I would have spent on store parsley. Woo hoo. I justify the time I put into it by saying it tastes a lot better than the store bought.



2 comments:

jenn w said...

Niche,

Try fried green tomatoes, just for your ol sister. I want to know what they taste like.

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com